One of the most evident ways to find the target audience for a mobile app or game is to launch an ad campaign in Social Media. VK and OK are among the top social networks in Russia, where you could easily start promotion. myTarget ad platform enables advertisers to reach users from both social networks as well as mobile ad network within one campaign. Our decision was to test the platform for a month: from March 1 till March 30, 2019.
We started with "App Install" campaigns. Keeping in mind our experience to date, we decided to target ads to the audience that might be interested in the genre of strategy: men aged 18-45, who followed theme or competitors' VK and OK groups. We had tested this approach for a week and got the following results:
- Click-through Rate (CTR) less than 1%;
- Average Conversion Rate (CR) 10-13%;
- Average Cost per Install (CPI) $0,63-0,79 (40-50 RUB).
These metrics did not meet our plans set with the client, so we had to optimize the campaign and find another approach. We needed to reach users interested in this particular game genre, as they would most likely install Age of Z. myTarget platform had another specific target option to improve performance.We selected "Category of apps (Android); Game – Strategy" targeting in order to reach Android users who definitely play online strategies. For testing various targeting scenarios we chose five specific audiences:
- Installed at least one app from the Strategy category in the last 360 days
- Installed at least one app from the Strategy category in the last 180 days
- Installed at least one app from the Strategy category in the last 90 days
- Users who currently have at least one installed app from the Strategy category
- Users who currently have two or more installed apps from the Strategy
We intended to analyze the influence of the settled post-download time gaps on the key marketing metrics such as CTR, CR and Installs. Another goal was to attract loyal audience, so we set bidding based on CPI, Retention Rate and "Completed Level 4" metrics. The first statistics showed that we were in line with our KPIs what gave us room to focus on further optimization of bidding based on CPI. Across all the campaigns we tested cinematic and gameplay videos as well as square, vertical and horizontal video formats in order to fit different screen orientations.